How To Meditate Together With Your Dog
We are constantly thinking — remembering the past and planning the future. And we commend our behavior — unfortunately, mostly not encouraging and cheerful, but rather negative. For our state of mind, it is very beneficial to stop thinking from time to time and be entirely in the here and now.
Dogs are very similar to humans. As soon as they hear an interesting sound, see something, such as a deer jumping across the path, or smell something, excited thinking begins with them as well. However, they are often no longer responsive because they are in their own world. Meditation could, therefore, also be helpful for dogs.
Meditation for humans and dogs
Emotions transfer from humans to dogs and vice versa. When we are excited, fearful, or joyful, our dogs sense this and take over the feelings. It is the same the other way around. If we know that an encounter with another dog will cause our dog stress, we will also become nervous as soon as we see another dog. Thus, we wind each other up.
Start joint meditation sessions with your dog. It is essential to start very short, so do not expect to meditate with your dog for 20 minutes now.
- Start when your dog is already relaxed, e.g., lying on his blanket on the floor.
- Take a yoga mat and sit with him. Make sure your back is straight. If necessary, take a meditation cushion. You should be able to sit relaxed with your back straight for a few minutes.
- Keep your eyes on your dog, but do not look directly at him. Now concentrate on your breath. Feel how your breath is flowing; maybe you can also hear it.
- End your meditation after 3 minutes or sooner if your dog becomes restless and try to sense how he feels.
- Go back to meditation when your dog becomes calm again or after about 2 minutes if he is relaxed all the time.
Repeat steps 4 and 5 a few more times.
Practice meditation with your dog daily. It will strengthen the bond between you, and you will better sense what your dog is feeling and how he is doing.
Join Medium with my referral link — Britta Ollrogge, MBA
Read every story from Britta Ollrogge (and thousands of other writers on Medium). Your membership fee directly supports…
Do you want some support on your journey? I help you manifest personal growth, happiness, and contentment in your life. With me as your coach, you will establish habits that help you to live a happier life.
👉 Click here and find the right coaching package 👈